Sunday, October 16, 2005

The end.

My job is over. I was called and asked to come in again yesterday so I was able to get a bit more time in and have another last day.

It's hard to fully explain how much this experience has meant to me. And for me. The past few years have been tough, with my mental illness and my physical illness and remembering who I am in the middle of all it. This was tangible proof I could go out and do something, something I wanted that was important to me. In spite of feeling like I was too far out of the work world and that I shouldn't out of fear of my memory troubles and health crap, I went for this job and was hired as a supervisor. Big moment for me.

I have absolutely LOVED it. Working again, bringing in an income, and proving to myself that I can do this has done wonders for me.

The best, best, best part of this job though was what we were there for. To help the hurricane victims. Talking to the people I've spoken with and just listening when there wasn't much else to do and hearing their strength are gigantic reminders of perspective. It's been emotional, in very stark ways, but mostly it's been incredibly rewarding and touching.

On Friday I will go pick up my last check, say goodbye to the few who are left working, and that will be it. I will really, really miss it.

No comments: